Oven Fries Three Ways
Oven fries are heaven. They’re better than the deep-fried version because the roasting process amplifies the potato’s flavor. I’ve used heirloom variety starchy potatoes for oven fries and have been astonished by how delicious they can be. You absolutely must use a starchy potato- like a russet- for oven fries. Low-starch varieties will be too squishy when picked up.
The possibilities for flavoring oven fries are only limited by your imagination- smoked salts, chili flakes, coriander, dried chipotle powder, lavender, curry… The two that follow the basic recipe are stand-out favorites.
2 pounds russet or other starchy potato
¼ cup grapeseed or olive oil
1 tablespoon kosher salt
- Place potatoes in a pile on a baking sheet (preferably rimmed) that is large enough to accommodate all of the potatoes in a single layer.
- Pour oil over them, salt them and toss with your hands until all pieces have a light oily sheen.
- Place in a single layer, cut-side down, on a cookie sheet and bake at 425-degrees for 20-25 minutes or until done.
Rosemary Oven Fries
- Add 1 ½ tablespoons finely minced rosemary during step one above.
Cumin-spiced Oven Fries
- Add 1 teaspoon hot paprika and 1 teaspoon ground cumin to the oil, stirring to incorporate, before drizzling over potatoes in step 1.